- If you travel to Estonia for short periods of time, you may use your Italian driving licence because, in accordance with the EU Directive 2006/126/EC of December 20, 2006, EU Member States and countries belonging to EEA recognise the driving licences issued by their respective authorities.
- Conversely, if you take up your residence in Estonia, you have three options available:
– to convert your Italian driving licence into an Estonian equivalent (this is an option, not an obligation);
– to keep your own driving licence by having it recognised by the local authorities (where provided for by local legislation);
– to keep your original driving licence without doing anything about it. In the latter case, however, there may be inconveniences or delays when a duplicate shall be issued due to loss, theft or destruction of the document, since you need to request information from the State that originally issued the driving licence.
In order to request both conversion (which consists in issuing a new driving licence) and recognition, the driving licence shall be in progress of validity.
You may renew your Italian driving licence by applying only to the local authorities (see Circular No. 30 of May 21, 1999, issued by the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport).
More information are available at the following link.
Cancellation from the Public Register of Motor Vehicles (PRA)
For more information on this topic, please consult the following link.